Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Autumn and Winter Backgrounds


This post is about some techniques to create a mottled multicolored background.  I started out wanting to create an autumn colored background and ended up with a winter night background.  The autumn leaves were for a Club Scrap challenge.  I had extra card mats so I used them for a winter night background.  Come back tomorrow to see how I used the background to make two cards. 
I wanted to create a neutral autumn background without any distinct lines.  So I used Tim Holtz wrinkle free distress technique. 
  • Spots of Distress Paint Antique Linen and Antique Bronze on my craft sheet
  • Add Distress Ink from the pad in Fired Brick, Crushed Olive, Wild Honey, and Seedless Preserves
  • Sprayed generously with water
  • Wipe the ink up with heavy weight mixed media paper

 

I liked the result, but it was lighter than I wanted.  So I repeated the process with only the Distress ink and water.  Then I added embossed leaves using Club Scrap Stamps.


 


From this I created two fall cards with the backgrounds.  The papers are from Club Scrap paper.  The greetings are from the Club Scrap Peacock kit. 

Next, I used extra light panels and a salt technique to make a winter night background.     
  • Spray mat with water
  • Spray Memory Mist Blue Hawaii
  • Add Distress Stains in Brushed Pewter, Seedless Preserves, Evergreen Bough, Faded Jeans, and Dust Concord
  • Spray more water
  • And Spray Memory Mist Blue Hawaii
  • Sprinkle with coarse salt and allow to dry overnight
  • When dry remove salt
  • Cover the whole mat with clear embossing power to seal
      Below is a detailed view of the background created.
 

Come back tomorrow to see how I used this background for the Operation Write Home World Card Making Day Blog Hop.

2 comments:

  1. Great backgrounds. I need to get into these processes more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...these turned out beautifully. I wish I had more time to "play" with techniques like these. Thanks for sharing, Debby!

    ReplyDelete